17 Apr 20 Moving Day Prep Tasks You Haven’t Thought Of
Moving can be a stressful time. There’s plenty to do before, during, and after the big day, and packing is just the tip of the iceberg! This checklist includes a list of 20 tasks that most people forget to take care of before it’s time to move.
- If you have kids who will be changing schools, request their transcripts ahead of time and contact their new school to check for any additional forms or requirements.
- Transfer your prescriptions to a local pharmacy. Don’t forget your pet’s medications, too!
- Change your mailing address for bills, packages, and contact information.
- Set up mail forwarding. You can do this by filling out a form online or visiting your local post office.
- Hire specialty movers for certain items that most regular movers can’t or won’t move themselves, such as pianos, artwork, hot tubs, or other large or fragile items.
- Make plans for your pets. Moving day can be a stressful time, and it’s common for dogs and cats to get lost. Look for a sitter or local boarding to keep them safe and out of the way.
- Change your locks. You never know who has a copy of your new house key!
- Take pictures of your electronics so you can remember the placement of wires and cables when you’re setting them up again.
- Make sure your tools and cleaning supplies are accessible so you don’t have to search through boxes on moving day.
- Service your vehicles beforehand, especially if you have a long drive ahead. Nothing is worse than getting stranded on the road!
- Drain water from all appliances and hoses. Defrost your refrigerator the night before.
- Gather your important documents such as birth certificates, passports, financial records, and more so you can store them safely in your new home.
- Plan your route and make sure everyone knows the way.
- Backup your computer’s important files and photos. Accidents happen, and you don’t want to lose your important information!
- Transfer or set up your utilities ahead of time. Some utilities require you to schedule setup dates at least 1-2 weeks beforehand.
- Cancel your gym memberships and other subscriptions or memberships that can’t be transferred.
- Donate or discard anything you can’t pack, such as perishable items.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment so it can be transported safely.
- Return things you’ve borrowed from friends and family, overdue library books, etc.
- Look up contact information for a local plumber, electrician, and other service professionals you might need unexpectedly.
Whether you’re moving across town or across the state, taking care of these tasks will help your transition to your new home go much more smoothly. For real estate listings in Winston Salem, Clemmons, and surrounding areas, check out my website or contact Chrystal Yates Real Estate!